In considering the best Content Management System (CMS) platform for attorneys, we had two choices. We could build our own CMS platform (like a few of our competitors), or we could develop websites on an Open-Source CMS that has been developed and tested by top developers around the world, used in millions of websites and blogs, and is free for our clients.
An Open-Source CMS was clearly the better alternative for our law firm clients. After evaluating several Open-Source platforms, WordPress emerged as the best option for our clients. Here’s why:
- It’s been built, tested, and is continuously improved upon by top developers all over the world
- It’s free– there are no license fees
- It’s used by top companies, universities, and organizations – over 70 million sites are powered by WordPress
- There are more than 30,000 plugins that have been developed for WordPress which have been downloaded more than 700 million times. These plugins include those for Google Analytics, video, e-newsletters, search engine friendly link building, slide-shows, and more
- Virtually any type of website functionality desired can be included on a WordPress site.
WordPrESQTM – The Extension of WordPress for Law Firms
Choosing WordPress as our CMS platform was not the end of our decision. Once we chose WordPress, we wanted to create a robust solutions that attorneys and their staff could easily manage without expensive developer help or website coding knowledge. Specifically, we wanted to develop a solution that could be integrated with WordPress to:
- Easily add and modify attorney profiles, so that key profile items (Education, Admissions, and Practice areas could be easily formatted).
- Add new attorney images,
- Add practice areas “on-the-fly”, and be able to associate attorneys with different practice pages,
- Create functionality for firms with multiple offices, to display attorney images and attorney names automatically with each area.